Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Being Fluid

The process of selling TERN has been full of unexpected emotions and experiences.  As I've stated before, I decided to offer TERN for sale solely because I want to sail to kayaking destinations with my kayaks (a 16' sea kayak, and an 8' surf kayak).  Tern is a pretty small platform to efficiently carry other boats with.  But my heart is still attached to TERN.

One of the coolest things recently has been the connections and conversations I've had with people who love the boat.  TERN seems to attract people who I feel many commonalities with; a love for the simple life, a minimalist approach to sailing and adventuring, and an appreciation for the spirit and soul of what some might call an "inanimate" object.  I could never think of a custom built boat as an inanimate object--how could it be when it takes on so much energy imbedded in the materials, the work and love of the builder(s), and the appreciation of those who orchestrate its movement on the water?

During the last 6 months, I've acquired a trimaran, then realized that though it is an incredible craft, and has an amazing rig and sail inventory, it needs to be taken to a covered shop and some fairly extensive cabin house repairs are needed.  It's hard to justify spending the time and money, when TERN is so ready to go.  I've decided to put more energy into TERN and aim to touch up the brightwork a bit, and order some new lexan for the portlights.

It's funny how giving something (or someone) your attention can re-invigorate your fondness for them.


So, while I'd still like to find a ready-to-go small multihull, I will continue to give love and attention to, and sail, TERN.  She is the boat I have right now, and as they say..."the best boat is the boat you own".

No comments:

Post a Comment