Tuesday, August 9, 2011

"The Wind Is My Engine"

Wow!  We've had some great sailing in the last week here in the San Juan Islands.  Djuna's sister was visiting us from landlocked Colorado, so we decided to sail TERN to Friday Harbor for some "city life".  Had a great lunch at Pablito's, checked out the used clothing store, and enjoyed the town, glad to be independent of the ferry schedule and huge lines of traffic.  It's so nice to utilize the privilege of having TERN to embark on these small adventures, and to share the beauty of the area with other people.

Djuna, my love, at the helm, TERN going nicely.

 A day later, a big fan of the boat came out for a look and a sail.  It was great to meet Sam, and I appreciated talking with him and sharing stories while we reached back and forth across West Sound in 12 knots of wind.  One of the many things we talked about was what brings happiness in one's life.  I reflected on this as we sailed and realized that, though there are costs and complexities involved with boat ownership, there is so much value in the quality time spent moving over the water in a snug, simple vessel.   There is a synergy between the sailor and the boat to where, at times, I literally feel what the boat is experiencing--as though I've inherited a new body carefully constructed of yellow cedar, oak, stainless steel, and sail.  It is as it should be;  the medium through which we move imparting movement and vibrations (itself, really) onto me, the traveller.


Close reaching with current assisting, we make the south point of Shaw.


Now I'm lining up my schedule to sail the boat to the Deer Harbor wooden boat festival (which occurs between the Victoria and Port Townsend event), where the boat will get a lot of attention, I'm sure.  After that, Port Townsend for a weekend of good sailing, beautiful boats, and great sailing for me across the Straits of Juan de Fuca....unless, of course, TERN captures someone's fancy earlier.

1 comment:

  1. How comfortably do three people fit in the cockpit? I haven't been able to find any photos online of this area of the trekka yachts, and am interested in finding whether one would be suitable for me and several friends. There is one for sale a few thousand kilometers from me that I am quite keen on.

    ReplyDelete